Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back from Chicago

Finally, I’ve caught up enough on my work, so I can blog about our trip to Chicago. I must say it was a wonderful trip, and such beautiful weather! Our feet were pretty tired from walking everywhere, as we decided against a rental car (that was a good idea). After being a pedestrian and seeing the drivers there, I’m quite sure that I could invent new curse words and also be put into a padded cell if allowed to drive there :-)

The worst part of the trip had to be when we arrived home to SLC Sunday night at 11.30. Not only was it late, and the vacation over, but we were waiting for our checked luggage to come out and thought that I’d get my car keys ready……………hmmmm………where are my car keys?????? Well, after frantically looking through my purse (which Bryan calls the abyss), my carry on bag, my checked bag, it became increasing clear just where my car keys were – CHICAGO! I was so smart and thought I didn’t want to carry them around with me, so I took them out and set them on the couch in the hotel room…..


***Note to others: if you unpack your keys, put them in your carry-on bag!***


So, we ended up renting a car for the night to get home, and then went back Monday morning with a spare set of keys. However, I will say that the Hilton Homewood Suites in Chicago was a very nice place to stay. From our room we had a nice view of the new Trump Tower being built. Also, when I called them Monday about my keys, they were kind enough to look for them, and then once they found them, FedEx’ed them to me, and I had them back yesterday - 24 hours later! That’s good service!

So, as I said, we didn’t rent a car, so we did A LOT of walking! It was way cool, we walked up and down Michigan Ave (aka The Magnificent Mile) and saw lots of cool, expensive things I could never afford. We also went to the Hancock Tower, which is not as tall as the Sears tower, but we were able to go up to the lounge they have on the 96th floor! Wow! It is amazing how tall these buildings are! We walked to a park there and you should have seen this park – it stretched on and on for many blocks. We also made it out to Soldier Field where the Chicago Bears play, and went to the aquarium as well.

While we were gone, Brittany was able to go to Arizona with Grandma and Grandpa to see Teryn get baptized and little Reese get blessed, and had a wonderful time while there.

And now, it’s back to the real world of work and moving! Selling my house is turning into quite the adventure. Its amazing how much crap you can acquire over a short amount of time (4 years), so this is good at least in the way that it is making me sort through things that I may not need anymore…..like the several pairs of jeans that no longer fit, and even if they did, they are quite out of style. But trying to organize it and get out in the next 10 days is going to be a challenge!

So, enough of my ramblings, I’ll post a couple of pics from our trip:




This is the 'Bean'. It's located in at Millenial Park, and looks like a giant drop of Mercury in the shape of a, well, bean... it was a lot cooler than i thought it was going to be.




A closer view of the 'Bean' - can you see me? It is pretty cool the way it reflects the skyline of Chicago


This is a view from inside the 'Bean'



And another one



A statue in front of Soldier Field (and it may jsut be me, but the lady sitting on the beach looks topless)

Me and my sweetie along Lake Michigan with Chicago in the background - the Sears Tower is the building farthest left

Wow! Look at that sail boat! That's a lot of freaking sails! The little sailboats in the front we think were sailing students - and then there's the huge yellow boat!

Okay, that's all I have time for right now, but i'll post some more pics as soon as I can.

No comments: